Marco Carbone - Assistant Professor
Department and institution: Department of Health Sciences, School of Medicine and Surgery, University of Milano Bicocca
tel. +39 392 7333154
institutional profile page: UNIMIB
see also: PubMed, BOA, Scopus
Keywords: Risk prediction modelling, Cholestatic liver disease, Primary biliary cholangitis, Primary sclerosing cholangitis
Dr. Carbone’s research interest mainly relates to study disease mechanisms in cholestatic liver diseases. He runs a research programme in primary biliary cholangitis ad primary sclerosing cholangitis that encompasses joint modelling of molecular, biochemical and radiological data, and their conversion into meaningful outputs that can inform mechanistic understanding, health care decisions, and the design of innovative clinical trials.
Main topics of the group
- Risk prediction modelling
- Clinical and genetic epidemiology
- Patient-oriented, effectiveness research
Selected Recent Publications
- Pretreatment prediction of response to ursodeoxycholic acid in primary biliary cholangitis: development and validation of the UDCA Response Score. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018 Sep;3(9):626-634. doi: 10.1016/S2468-1253(18)30163-8. Carbone M, Nardi A, Flack S, Carpino G, Varvaropoulou N, Gavrila C, Spicer A, Badrock J, Bernuzzi F, Cardinale V, Ainsworth HF, Heneghan MA, Thorburn D, Bathgate A, Jones R, Neuberger JM, Battezzati PM, Zuin M, Taylor-Robinson S, Donato MF, Kirby J, Mitchell-Thain R, Floreani A, Sampaziotis F, Muratori L, Alvaro D, Marzioni M, Miele L, Marra F, Giannini E, Gaudio E, Ronca V, Bonato G, Cristoferi L, Malinverno F, Gerussi A, Stocken DD, Cordell HJ, Hirschfield GM, Alexander GJ, Sandford RN, Jones DE, Invernizzi P6, Mells GF; Italian PBC Study Group and the UK–PBC Consortium.
- The UK-PBC risk scores: Derivation and validation of a scoring system for long-term prediction of end-stage liver disease in primary biliary cholangitis. Hepatology. 2016 Mar;63(3):930-50. doi: 10.1002/hep.28017. Carbone M, Sharp SJ, Flack S, Paximadas D, Spiess K, Adgey C, Griffiths L, Lim R, Trembling P, Williamson K, Wareham NJ, Aldersley M, Bathgate A, Burroughs AK, Heneghan MA, Neuberger JM, Thorburn D, Hirschfield GM, Cordell HJ, Alexander GJ, Jones DE, Sandford RN, Mells GF; UK-PBC Consortium.
- Sex and age are determinants of the clinical phenotype of primary biliary cirrhosis and response to ursodeoxycholic acid.. Gastroenterology. 2013 Mar;144(3):560-569.e7; quiz e13-4. doi: 10.1053/j.gastro.2012.12.005. Carbone M1, Mells GF, Pells G, Dawwas MF, Newton JL, Heneghan MA, Neuberger JM, Day DB, Ducker SJ; UK PBC Consortium, Sandford RN, Alexander GJ, Jones DE. et al.
last update: March 2020