Fulvio Magni - Full Professor
Department and institution: School of Medicine and Surgery, University of Milano Bicocca
tel. +39 02 6448 8213
institutional profile page: UNIMIB
see also: ORCID, ResearcherID (publons), Publications (IRIS - Institutional Research Information System)
Piattaforma di Spettrometria di Massa: Proteomica e Metabolomica
Keywords: Proteomics, metabolomics, biomarker discovery, mass spectrometry imaging
The team has consolidated its experience in various application sectors including the analysis, by GC / LC-MS / MS, of drugs and small molecules as well as the study of the proteome and metabolome by mass spectrometry. In particular, in the latter field, high-throughput approaches, both top-down and bottom-up, can support projects aimed at identifying the proteome / peptidome, its qualitative alterations (post-translational modifications such as phosphorylation, N- glycosylation etc.) and quantitative in various types of samples, as well as validating the results. The team also has vast expertise in "Imaging" by mass spectrometry to obtain the spatial distribution and relative intensity of the molecules of interest directly in tissues and cells. The unit is also able to study the metabolome through untargeted and targeted identification / quantification techniques with both GC-MS / MS and with LC-MS / MS. Furthermore, the team has proven expertise in the management of different biological matrices for numerous biochemical studies, including those in which multiple centres are involved.
Specifically, the Proteomics and Metabolomics unit principally uses the following proteomics and metabolomics strategies for applications to liquid samples such as biological fluids (serum, urine, plasma, FNAB, etc.) and solids (tissues, cell cultures, microorganisms, regenerative scaffolds, etc.).
Currently, we are investigating thyroid and renal carcinomas, idiopatic lung fibrosis, glomerulonephritis.
We have also several collaboration with public and private companies.
Current research projects
2019-2022 POR 2014-20202 FESR. Sviluppo di nuove molecole di seconda generazione per immunoterapia oncologica (IMMUN-HUB)
Finaziamento: contributo Regione Lombardia 4.167.588,50
Maj-2020-October-2020 POR 2014-2020 FESR. Misura RICERCA COVID19. Linea 2: Caratterizzazione della risposta immunitaria protettiva in pazienti affetti da COVID-19 e realizzazione di un saggio immuno-diagnostico (CO-iMMUNITY)
Finaziamento: contributo Regione Lombardia 47.600
1. Gianazza E, Chinello C, Mainini V, Cazzaniga M, Squeo V, Albo G, Signorini S, Di Pierro Ss, Ferrero S, Nicolardi S, Van Der Burgt Ye, Deelder Am, Magni F. Alterations of the serum peptidome in renal cell carcinoma discriminating benign and malignant kidney tumors. J Proteomics. 2012 76: 125-140. DOI: 10.1016/j.jprot.2012.07.032
2. Mainini V, Bovo G, Chinello C, Gianazza E, Grasso M, Cattoretti G, Magni F. Detection of high molecular weight proteins by MALDI imaging mass spectrometry. Mol Biosyst. 2013 2013; 9(6): 1101-7. DOI: 10.1039/c2mb25296a
3. Magni F, Lalowski M, Mainini V, Marchetti-Deschmann M, Chinello C, Urbani A, Baumann M. Proteomics imaging and the kidney. J Nephrol. 2013 May 16;26(3):430-6. DOI: 10.5301/jn.5000243
4. Mainini V, Pagni F, Garancini M, Giardini V, De Sio G, Cusi C, Arosio C, Roversi G, Chinello C, Caria P, Vanni R,.
Magni F. An Alternative Approach in Endocrine Pathology Research: MALDI-IMS in Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma. Endocr Pathol. Endocr Pathol. 2013 Dec;24(4):250-3. DOI: 10.1007/s12022-013-9273-8
5. Mainini V, Pagni F, Ferrario F, Pieruzzi F, Grasso M, Stella A, Cattoretti G, Magni F. MALDI imaging mass spectrometry in glomerulonephritis: feasibility test. Histopathology. 2014 May;64(6):901-6. DOI: 10.1111/his.12337
last update: June 2020