Department and institution: School of Medicine and Surgery, Department of Health Sciences, University of Milano Bicocca
Keywords: Celiac Disease; Mirnas; Gene Expression; Iron Metabolism; Hypoxia
Main research interests are:
a) identify genes and pathways involved in the response of the intestinal mucosa to gluten or its peptides in control subjects and in patients with celiac disease. In particular the studies focus on gene expression regulation by miRNAs and their role either in the development of celiac disease or in determining the different severity of the intestinal damage; b) identify the role of iron metabolism genes and their regulatory mechanisms in determining iron overload, as well as their response to hypoxia. In the latter case an animal model is also used, and the study involves the evaluation of expression profiling at mRNA and miRNA level.
Short Curriculum vitae
-November 2000 Specialization in Medical Genetics (70/70 cum laude), University of Milan, Italy.
-July 1994 Specialization in Gastroenterology (70/70 cum laude), University of Milan, Italy.
-March 1990 M.D. (110/110 cum laude), University of Milan, Italy.
-October 1996- November 2000 Fellowship in Medical Genetics, University of Milan, Italy
-September 1995-September 1996 Research Fellow, Department of Biology and Genetics, University of Milan, Italy
-January-June 1995 Research Fellow, Nutrition Department, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
-August 1992-August 1995 Research Fellow, Gastroenterology Division, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, U.S.A
-July 1990-July 1992 Fellowship in Gastroenterology University of Milan, Italy.
-November 2010 – present Associate Professor in Applied Biology, University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan, Italy.
-May – November 2008 Fulbright Visiting Scientist, Gastroenterology Division, BIDMC, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA.
-March 2002 – October 2010 Assistant Professor in Applied Biology, University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan, Italy.
-December 2000-February 2002 Tutor in Biology and Genetics at the University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan, Italy.
-2007 Fulbright Research Scholarship
-1997 AISF (Italian Association for the Study of the Liver) research award.
-1996 SIGE (Italian Gastroenterological Association) research award.
-Speaker in National and International Congresses
She was a selected speaker in more than 30 congresses, including:
- European Iron Club 2011, Leuven, Belgium.
- Digestive Disease Week 2009, Chicago, IL, USA.
- European Iron Club 2006, Barcelona, Spain.
- 11th International Symposium on Coeliac Disease. 2004, Belfast, Northern Ireland.
- Bioiron 2001, Cairns, Australia
- European Iron Club 2000, Stockholm, Sweden
Publications and Reviewer activity
She has published 46 papers in peer reviewed journals.
She is member of the Editorial Board of The American Journal of Physiology and of the Muscles, Ligaments and Tendons Journal.
She has served as reviewer for international journals such as: New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet, Gut, Journal of Hepatology, Journal of Pathology, The International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, Haematologica, Italian Journal of Gastroenterology, Physiological Genomics, European Journal of Immunology.
She has been teaching the course of Biology and Genetics (Medical School), Cellular Biology (Dentistry) and Pharmacogenomics (Degree in Biotechnology) since 2002. She has supervised several (about 20) undergraduate and PhD thesis.
-2012 Grant from the Italian Ministry of Research on regulation of iron metabolism (co-investigator).
-2009-2011 Grant from the Italian Ministry of Research on hypoxia regulation of iron metabolism (co-investigator).
-2008-2010 Grant from Cariplo Foundation The lron-Hypoxia link: identification of potential markers for Hypoxia-related disorders (co-investigator)
-2004-2006 Grant from the Italian Ministry of Research on postgenomic studies in iron metabolism. (Head of Research Unit)
-2002-2004 Grant from the Italian Ministry of Health for the study of genes involved in determining different clinical manifestation in celiac disease (Head of Research Unit)
1. Vaira V, Roncoroni L, Barisani D, Gaudioso G, Bosari S, Bulfamante G, Doneda L, Conte D, Tomba C, Bardella MT, Ferrero S, Locatelli M, Elli L. microRNA profiles in coeliac patients distinguish different clinical phenotypes and are modulated by gliadin peptides in primary duodenal fibroblasts. Clin Sci (Lond). 2014 Mar;126(6):417-23. doi: 10.1042/CS20130248. PubMed PMID: 24063611.
2. Junker Y, Zeissig S, Kim SJ, Barisani D, Wieser H, Leffler DA, Zevallos V,Libermann TA, Dillon S, Freitag TL, Kelly CP, Schuppan D. Wheat amylase trypsin inhibitors drive intestinal inflammation via activation of toll-like receptor 4. J Exp Med. 2012 Dec 17;209(13):2395-408. doi: 10.1084/jem.20102660. Epub 2012 Dec PubMed PMID: 23209313; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3526354.
3. Trynka G, Hunt KA, Bockett NA, Romanos J, Mistry V, Szperl A, Bakker SF, Bardella MT, Bhaw-Rosun L, Castillejo G, de la Concha EG, de Almeida RC, Dias KR, van Diemen CC, Dubois PC, Duerr RH, Edkins S, Franke L, Fransen K, Gutierrez J,Heap GA, Hrdlickova B, Hunt S, Plaza Izurieta L, Izzo V, Joosten LA, Langford C, Mazzilli MC, Mein CA, Midah V, Mitrovic M, Mora B, Morelli M, Nutland S, Núñez C,Onengut-Gumuscu S, Pearce K, Platteel M, Polanco I, Potter S, Ribes-Koninckx C,Ricaño-Ponce I, Rich SS, Rybak A, Santiago JL, Senapati S, Sood A, Szajewska H,Troncone R, Varadé J, Wallace C, Wolters VM, Zhernakova A; Spanish Consortium on the Genetics of Coeliac Disease (CEGEC); PreventCD Study Group; Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium (WTCCC), Thelma BK, Cukrowska B, Urcelay E, Bilbao JR,Mearin ML, Barisani D, Barrett JC, Plagnol V, Deloukas P, Wijmenga C, van Heel DA. Dense genotyping identifies and localizes multiple common and rare variant association signals in celiac disease. Nat Genet. 2011 Nov 6;43(12):1193-201.doi: 10.1038/ng.998. PubMed PMID: 22057235; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3242065.
4. Ravasi G, Pelucchi S, Trombini P, Mariani R, Tomosugi N, Modignani GL, Pozzi M, Nemeth E, Ganz T, Hayashi H, Barisani D, Piperno A. Hepcidin expression in iron overload diseases is variably modulated by circulating factors. PLoS One. 2012;7(5):e36425. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0036425. Epub 2012 May 7. PubMed PMID: 22586470; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3346721.
5. Romanos J, Rosén A, Kumar V, Trynka G, Franke L, Szperl A, Gutierrez-Achury J, van Diemen CC, Kanninga R, Jankipersadsing SA, Steck A, Eisenbarth G, van Heel DA, Cukrowska B, Bruno V, Mazzilli MC, Núñez C, Bilbao JR, Mearin ML, Barisani D, Rewers M, Norris JM, Ivarsson A, Boezen HM, Liu E, Wijmenga C; PreventCD Group. Improving coeliac disease risk prediction by testing non-HLA variants additional to HLA variants. Gut. 2014 Mar;63(3):415-22. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2012-304110. Epub 2013 May 23. PubMed PMID: 23704318; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3933173.