Alberto Piperno - Associate Professor
Department and institution: Department of Health Sciences, School of Medicine and Surgery, University of Milano Bicocca
tel. +39 039 2333461
institutional profile page: UNIMIB
see also: PubMed, BOA
Keywords: iron, hemochromatosis, rare diseases, metabolic disorders
Main research interest
1. Physiopathology of iron metabolism: interactions between acquired and genetic factors in the development of iron deficiency and overload in hematological, hepatic and metabolic disorders.
2. Inherited and rare disorders: molecular genetics and pathogenesis of hemochromatosis and other hereditary and acquired iron disorders. Genotype/phenotype correlation in hemochromatosis. Inherited metabolic diseases.
Major scientific achievements
Prevalence and distribution of iron overload in chronic viral hepatitis. Role of HFE mutations in the development of iron overload in chronic viral hepatitis and porphyria cutanea tarda. First evidence of the genetic heterogeneity of hemochromatosis. Identification of new mutations in several hereditary iron overload disorders. Hepcidin expression in hemochromatosis and other iron overload disorders. Iron and hypoxia link.
Author of 130 publications in international peer - reviewed journals mainly in the hematological and hepatological fields. H-index: 34 (source Web of Sciences).
Internal and external collaborators
- Mariani Raffaella, S.Gerardo Hospital, Italy
- Rigoldi Miriam, S.Gerardo Hospital, Italy
- Pelloni Irene, S.Gerardo Hospital, Italy
- Pelucchi Sara, University of Milano Bicocca, Italy
- Ravasi Giulia, University of Milano Bicocca, Italy
- Greni Federico, University of Milano Bicocca, Italy
- PIPERNO A, SAMPIETRO M, PIETRANGELO A, AROSIO A, LUPICA L, MONTOSI G, VERGANI A, FRAQUELLI M, GIRELLI D, PASQUERO P, ROETTO A, GASPARINI P, FARGION S, CONTE D, CAMASCHELLA C. Heterogeneity of hemochromatosis in Italy. Gastroenterology 1998;114:996-1002.
- FRACANZANI AL, PIPERNO A, VALENTI L, FRAQUELLI M, COLETTI S, MARASCHI A, CONSONNI D, COVIELLO E, CONTE D, FARGION S. Hemochromatosis in Italy in the last 30 years: role of genetic and acquired factors. Hepatology. 2010 Feb;51(2):501-10. PubMed PMID: 20101754.
- PIPERNO A, GALIMBERTI S, MARIANI R, PELUCCHI S, RAVASI G, LOMBARDI C, BILO G, REVERA M, GIULIANO A, FAINI A, MAININI V, WESTERMAN M, GANZ T, VALSECCHI MG, MANCIA G, PARATI G; for the HIGHCARE investigators. Modulation of hepcidin production during hypoxia-induced erythropoiesis in humans in vivo: data from the HIGHCARE project. Blood. 2011 Mar 10;117(10):2953-2959. Epub 2010 Dec 13. PubMed PMID: 21149632.
- PELUCCHI S, MARIANI R, CALZA S, FRACANZANI AL, LITTA MODIGNANI G, BERTOLA F, BUSTI F, TROMBINI P, FRAQUELLI M, FORNI GL, GIRELLI D, FARGION S, SPECCHIA C, PIPERNO A. CYBRD1 as a modifier gene that modulates iron phenotype in HFEp.c282y homozygous patients. Haematologica. 2012;97:1818-25. PMID: 22773607.
- Seravalle G, Piperno A, Mariani R, Pelloni I, Facchetti R, Dell'Oro R, Cuspidi C, Mancia G, Grassi G. Alterations in sympathetic nerve traffic in genetic haemochromatosis before and after iron depletion therapy: a microneurographic study. Eur Heart J. 2015 Dec 28. pii: ehv696. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26715163.
last update: January 2018